Naglee Park was founded in 1902 by two daughters of Brigadier General Henry Morris Naglee who fought in the civil war. Naglee was a pioneer who moved to San Jose from Philadelphia in 1846. In 1858, he purchased 140 acres of land in the area near downtown San Jose area (downtown San Jose was in the St. James Park area at the time). There is a statue of Henry Naglee at St. James Park. He is an important figure in San Jose’s history.
When Mr. Naglee died in 1866, he left the estate to his two daughters Marie and Antoinette. His two daughters and their husbands formed the Naglee Park Improvement Company in the late 1880’s. The Naglee Park Improvement Company with the help of developer T.S. Montgomery broke ground on the Naglee Park subdivision on April 15, 1902. The result was a beautiful residential area complete with paved streets, city water, sewer, telephone, gas, and electricity. That made this neighborhood very better advanced and more desirable. Also, the community was near downtown San Jose where most of the business happened. The proximity to downtown made it even more desirable because they could walk to work. Bankers, lawyers, doctors, insurance people, and fruit company managers wanted to live in this fancy new neighborhood. Remember, there were no automobiles at the time. Also, there was only one high school in San Jose and it was located where San Jose State University is located today. So, the locations was perfect for many families.
Brigadier General Henry Morris Naglee’s actual home is the oldest home in Naglee Park built in 1864. It’s located on the corner of 14th street and San Fernando. Naglee Park has many beautiful Victorians, Smaller Victorian Cottages, Large and small Craftman, and Bungalows.